Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Good News and a Minor Accident

Yesterday Ric saw his Vein Doctor in Topeka. 2 years ago he was diagnosed with 80% blockage in one of the arteries in his neck. Then 1 year ago he was told somehow it had reduced to 50%. Yesterday he was told it was around 39%. The Heart and the Vein Doctors have no idea how this happened. Usually, the only way a blockage reduces is when some of the calcified matter breaks off, but if that happens it goes into the brain and causes a stroke. Ric has not had a stroke, so the doctors are flummoxed.
Today we got more good news from his Kidney Doctor who said all his readings were normal and  he was doing well. Last week the Doc was worried that Ric might be heading for type 3 renal failure. He adjusted Ric's cocktail of meds and this week all is back to normal.
He also kindly signed Ric's prescription for new diabetic shoes, so those will be on their way to us soon. And the lady who measured his feet for his shoes said his feet were not just healthy-looking, but that he had pretty feet too.
Then we visited his Heart Doctor who was also pleased with his progress. So medically all looks good for our trip, thank the Lord for His grace.
We had another fine day today - after a near pass from a tornado yesterday, and a hail storm. Unfortunately the hail damaged the dome plastic roof over the shower in the RV, but Aiden went up on the roof and fixed it until we can get a replacement.
Not everything went so well, sadly. Ric was moving the trailer but didn't wait for me to get out of the way, and the loading ramp caught me across the top of my right foot. It scratched the tops of my toes and ripped the nail off my big toe.

No gory photos, just my big toe bandaged up.

It was then that I discovered that the only bandages in the house were for sprains, and not for cuts. Good thing I found out now so I can restock my first aid kit for the trip.
So necessity being the mother of invention, I covered my toe with Germolene, and wrapped it in a sanitary pad, held on with tape. I did the job pretty well.
And I have learnt that I should not get close to the trailer when it is being moved wearing flip-flops.
I will probably lose the toe nail on that toe, but then it will be a match for the nail less big toe on my other foot.
Just let me add here, Germolene is an amazing healing cream. We use it in the UK all the time, but don't get it in US except by mail order from Amazon. So if you are accident prone, I recommend it. It is antiseptic, and has anesthetic in it, so it helps take some of the pain away.

No comments:

Post a Comment